PDA

توجه ! این یک نسخه آرشیو شده میباشد و در این حالت شما عکسی را مشاهده نمیکنید برای مشاهده کامل متن و عکسها بر روی لینک مقابل کلیک کنید : English Phrasal verbs به همراه ترجمه انگلیسی

matrix
22nd January 2010, 02:58 PM
break in (1) = interrupt: "He broke in to their conversation to add that he couldn't work overtime

break in / into (2) = burgle / steal: "Thieves broke into the warehouse and stole 100 computers

bring in (1) = introduce: "She has brought in some changes to the company

matrix
22nd January 2010, 03:01 PM
bring in (2) = receive income: "He brings in a lot of money as a computer programmer

cave in = accept someone's idea or decision: "The unions finally caved in and accepted the new contracts

chip in = contribute: "We're all chipping in for Maria's birthday present

matrix
24th January 2010, 09:34 AM
fill in (1) = complete: "You need to fill in this form

fill in (2) = act as a substitute: "As Robert is on holiday, you'll have to fill in for him this week

fill in (3) = bring someone up to date: "Can you fill me in on the new project

matrix
26th January 2010, 08:31 AM
fit in = be accepted by a group: "He doesn't really fit in at work. He's very different from us

give in = finally accept something: "She gave in to her children's demands for sweets

hand in = give something to someone: "They handed in their assignment early

matrix
30th January 2010, 10:01 AM
kick in = start to have an effect: "The painkillers have finally kicked in. I feel much better

lead in = start with something: "In our presentation, we are going to lead in with our vision for the future

move in = occupy a house: "Some new neighbours have moved in next door

matrix
1st February 2010, 08:00 AM
take in (1) = understand: "I still can't take in the news

take in (2) = deceive someone: "He really took me in with his hard-luck story

take in (3) = provide refuge: "She took the old couple in

matrix
5th February 2010, 08:11 AM
work in = incorporate: "Is there any way of working in this paragraph? The text is a little unclear otherwise

Break off= end: "Talks have broken off between the union and management

Bring off = succeed in something difficult: "The new management brought off an amazing recovery in the company's fortunes

matrix
8th February 2010, 09:34 AM
Call off = cancel: "The proposed merger has been called off

Cut off = disconnect: "Their electricity was cut off when they didn't pay the bill

Lay off = make workers redundant: "The car manufacturer laid off 5000 workers

matrix
13th February 2010, 08:46 AM
Live off = get money from another source: "He invested the money and lived off the interest

Pay off = settle your debt: "She saved money every month and finally managed to pay off her student loan

Put off = (1) postpone: "They put off the decision for another month

matrix
21st February 2010, 09:25 AM
Take off = do well: "Business has really taken off

Write off = accept a loss: "We'll never get the money back – I think we should write it off

Get on = (1) have a good relationship with someone: "She gets on well with the Accounts Director

matrix
3rd March 2010, 08:55 PM
Take on = employ people: "We aren't taking on any more staff this year

Go on = continue: "Please go on. I'd like to hear more about your plans for the new office

Sit on = to stall or delay something: "We proposed this some time ago, but the Chairman has been sitting on the plans and we're no further forward

matrix
8th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Build on = use your successes to go further: "They built on their early success and soon expanded to become the biggest catering firm in the South East

Crack on = work fast: "I'm sorry I can't stop and talk – I need to crack on with some work

Work on = use your influence with someone: "Leave it with me – I'll work on the boss over the next fortnight

matrix
12th March 2010, 05:06 PM
Pick on = bully: "She feels that her colleagues are picking on her because she is so popular with management

Decide on = choose: "What color have you decided on for the staff canteen

Hold on = wait: "Please hold on and I will see if Mr Harris is available

matrix
27th March 2010, 04:22 PM
Pass on = give a message to someone: "I'll pass your message on to her when she returns

Try on = test someone's authority: "Don't take any notice of his behaviour – he's just trying it on with you

Back down (or climb down) = to no longer stick to your original ideas or position: "After weeks of negotiating, she backed down and accepted their conditions

matrix
5th May 2010, 10:58 AM
Break down (1) = examine the different parts of something: "The profits break down in the following way – 50% profit in European sales, a 20% profit in North American sales and a 30% profit in Asian sales

Break down (2) = when communication stops between two parties: "The negotiations broke down after two days

Bring down = destroy something: "A series of disastrous investments brought down the company

matrix
10th June 2010, 08:56 AM
Cut back on = reduce something: "The government has cut back on its defence budget

Drive down = work hard to reduce prices or costs: "Over the last year we have driven down the distribution costs

Live down = when other people can forget a bad reputation: "I was two hours late for the meeting and now my colleagues will never let me live it down

matrix
10th June 2010, 08:59 AM
Play down = minimize the importance of something: "She played down the fact that her father was the boss

Set down = put something in writing: "The conditions are set down in the contract

Stand down = resign: "After ten years at the head of the company, the chairman has decided to stand down

matrix
3rd July 2010, 01:47 PM
Take down = write notes in a meeting: "Can someone take down the minutes?"

Wear down = argue so much that the other person abandons their position: "The unions finally wore the management down on the issue of overtime pay."

Write down (or note down) = write something: "Could you write down your mobile phone number

matrix
3rd July 2010, 01:50 PM
Idioms about music

And all that jazz:

This idiom means that everything related or similar is included.

Bells on:

(USA) To be somewhere with bells on means to arrive there happy and delighted to attend.

Blow your own horn:

If you blow your own horn, you boast about your achievements and abilities. ('Blow your own trumpet' is an alternative form.)

استفاده از تمامی مطالب سایت تنها با ذکر منبع آن به نام سایت علمی نخبگان جوان و ذکر آدرس سایت مجاز است

استفاده از نام و برند نخبگان جوان به هر نحو توسط سایر سایت ها ممنوع بوده و پیگرد قانونی دارد